Saturday, July 21, 2012

Still hot...

I'll continue my story below in a later post. I want to keep you on the edge of your seat!

This morning I went out with Jonnene to check out the bike course for the River Cities Triathlon (I'm the bike course coordinator). She would do a workout and I would get a good ride in while inspecting the course from the rider's point of view. My original plan was to do two laps of the course totalling 36 miles and that would work well for my legs. As I continue the story from the post below you'll see that I had to ease back into cycling after taking the month of June off from doing ANYTHING. Now I'm trying to get back into shape without rushing things yet doing it all quickly! Figure that out.

A group from the local trathlon club was going to do a 30-mile loop with part of it covering 13 miles of the 18.4-mile bike course. I decided to go with them to get some speed work and do a few challenging hills. I did better than I thought since I was on a standard road bike and the rest were on tri-bikes with aerobars. In the end we averaged 21 mph which was my first average above 20 since I started riding again. It wasn't brutally fast but I had to work at keeping up in the first few miles. I don't know why the others wanted to go so fast so early...in the end they slowed down and I wasn't nearly as tired since I pretty much had to spread my energy out. I worked to avoid the fast/slow pace of the group yet take my pulls and sit in when I needed to.

After that I got in a very slow 2.5 mile run at the park. The rest of the day has been spent here at the house, sleeping some of the afternoon away. It is just too hot outside to do anything else.

No comments: